Caring Hearts Regina (Caring Hearts Camp Cabin Leader)Organization Name: Caring Hearts Regina
Opportunity Title: Caring Hearts Camp Cabin Leader
Category: Children & Youth
Commitment: One Day / Special Event
Start Date: February 26, 2019
End Date: April 15, 2019
- Background/police check required
- Appropriate for volunteers aged between 18 and 55
- Training or orientation required
Caring Hearts Camp is a weekend camp for Saskatchewan youth, ages 6-16, who have recently experienced a loss due to the death of a family member of friend. As a CHC volunteer you will be responsible for providing support and leadership to these youth throughout the weekend!
Our spring camp is running from Friday, May 3 – Sunday, May 5.
Under the supervision of the Caring Hearts Camp Coordinator, Cabin Leaders are responsible to:
– Bunk with campers for the duration of camp. At least two Cabin Leaders are assigned per cabin of 4-8 youth, which are separated by age and gender. If you have an age group you are more comfortable supervising, please include that information on your application.
– Assist in the running of programs and activities: horseback riding, rock climbing, swimming and more!
– Provide leadership and guidance to youth in attendance.
– Enforce camp rules and ensure respect is given and received by everyone in attendance so all campers can have a fun and memorable weekend!
In this position at Caring Hearts Camp you will be working with Saskatchewan children and teens who have recently lost a loved one and are working their way through the grieving process. Prior to camp weekend all of our volunteers are required to attend a volunteer training session in which a licensed counsellor will provide guidance on how to handle the different conversations or reactions bereaved children may display, as well as the opportunity to go over camp rules, our volunteer code of conduct, and cabin assignments. Nurses and counsellors will be on-site through the weekend to provide support to our team of volunteers. Prior experience with children is preferred, but not required. A volunteer criminal record check is required, as well as the ability to participate in the full weekend of camp (May 3-5, 2019) and attend the volunteer training session (Sunday, April 14, 2019).
Meals and accommodations the weekend of the event are provided for by Caring Hearts.