YMCA of Greater Toronto (Next Stop Canada Mentor)Organization Name: YMCA of Greater Toronto
Opportunity Title: Next Stop Canada Mentor
Category: Social and Community Service
Commitment: 6 months to 1 year
Start Date: September 24, 2020
End Date: February 24, 2021
- Appropriate for volunteers aged between 18 and 55
- Appropriate for volunteers aged 55 and over
Program Description: Next Stop Canada (NSC) is a program that provides online settlement support, learning opportunities, and mentorship to pre-arrival clients who are destined for Canada. This online program helps individuals overseas prepare for immigration to Canada by providing them with the information, knowledge, and resources needed to quickly adapt and integrate into Canadian society.
Major Duties: Next Stop Canada is an online portal for pre-arrival immigrants to virtually connect with professionals in Canada who are currently working in their desired field. All communication is done online via the Next Stop Canada platform, or via email with YMCA staff. Under the direct supervision of YMCA staff, volunteers:
- Answer questions from pre-arrival immigrants and recommend resources to help them with their career and settlement needs.
- Respond to questions within one week.
- Share immigration experiences and provide practical settlement tips to pre-arrival professionals.
- Minimum age 23
- Preferably has life experience as a newcomer.
- Post-secondary education and currently employed in specialized career industry (example: engineering, nursing, teaching etc.)
- Volunteers must be certified in their career field if industry standards require it.
- Experience and sensitivity in dealing with people from different cultural, racial, and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Demonstrate some technological experience and usage of social media tools (i.e. Facebook, Twitter)
- Responsible, reliable and friendly while demonstrating a willingness to learn.
- Only qualified candidates will be invited for an interview.
- Make a difference in your community by ensuring newcomers have a positive transition into Canadian society.
- Expand your network.
- Learn about diversity at the YMCA and meet new people from all walks of life.
- Be a part of the YMCA team and promote the YMCA Mission, Vision
Time Commitment: Six-month commitment preferred. Flexible hours; approximately four hours a month.
*This position is entirely online.
Apply For Volunteer Opportunity
Get Directions2200 Yonge Street
Other YMCA of Greater Toronto Volunteer Opportunities
Other Social and Community Service Volunteer Opportunities
Description: 1:1 Peer Support Program Volunteer Volunteers are at the heart of the MS Society. Join an exciting, dynamic and diverse …Read More
Description: YMCA of Regina Plusone Mentoring is a new community-based for youth aged 10-17 who are experiencing challenges in their social and academic …Read More