This volunteer opportunity has expired!
Regina Sexual Assault Centre (Seeking Volunteers to Work on Our 24-Hour Crisis Line)Organization Name: Regina Sexual Assault Centre
Opportunity Title: Seeking Volunteers to Work on Our 24-Hour Crisis Line
Category: Counselling / Support / Mentoring
Commitment: Ongoing Opportunity (> 1 year)
Start Date: March 4, 2019
End Date: March 2, 2020
- Background/police check required
- Appropriate for volunteers aged between 18 and 55
- Training or orientation required
The Regina Sexual Assault Centre is an inclusive, non-profit organization of trained counsellors and advocates who are dedicated to helping reduce the trauma of interpersonal violence and sexual assault.
Our crisis line advocates work two shifts per month on our 24-hour crisis line. Shifts are in the evenings and on weekends when the main office is closed. Advocates are expected to use a cellular phone to answer calls.
– Respond to crisis calls related to sexual assault, domestic violence, historical abuse, or clients seeking resources and information
– Meet with, and support clients at the hospital if requested by sexual assault nurse examiner, police, or RSAC staff
– Accompany client to police station to support in the reporting process if necessary
– Complete necessary paper work after receiving a crisis call
– All volunteer shifts are completed from home using a cellular phones. Volunteers must be in Regina while working on the crisis line, and be able to arrive at the hospital and/or police station within 30 minutes of receiving a call
– Experience providing support to individuals in crisis and dealing with trauma is an asset
– Knowledge of the impact of sexual assault and trauma
– Excellent verbal and written communication skills
This is a great opportunity for individuals studying, or working in the area of social work, psychology, education, criminal justice, or related field.
All volunteers must complete our crisis line training. This includes a two-day certified first responder training course, followed by scenario training and a hospital tour.
A criminal record, and vulnerable sector check are required before beginning the training.