This volunteer opportunity has expired!
YMCA of Greater Toronto (Next Stop Canada Mentor – Virtual)Organization Name: YMCA of Greater Toronto
Opportunity Title: Next Stop Canada Mentor – Virtual
Category: Social and Community Service
Commitment: 6 months to 1 year
Start Date: April 1, 2022
End Date: April 1, 2023
- Appropriate for volunteers aged between 18 and 55
- Appropriate for volunteers aged 55 and over
Next Stop Canada (NSC) is an online portal that provides online settlement support, learning opportunities, and mentorship to youth and adults who are destined for Canada. This online program helps individuals overseas prepare for immigration to Canada by providing them with the information, knowledge, and resources needed to quickly adapt and integrate into Canadian society. The Mentor Forum allows pre-arrival immigrants to virtually connect with professionals in Canada who are currently working in their desired field.
Major Duties May Include:
Under the direct supervision of YMCA staff, volunteers:
- Answer questions from pre-arrival immigrants and recommend resources to help them with their career and settlement needs
- Respond to questions within one week.
- Share immigration experiences and provide practical settlement tips to pre-arrival professionals.
- Six-month commitment preferred
- Flexible hours; approximately four hours a month.
- Minimum age: 23
- Life experience as a newcomer is a significant asset
- Post-secondary education and currently employed in specialized career industry (example: engineering, nursing, teaching, etc.)
- Volunteers must be certified in their career field if industry standards require it.
- Successful applicants to this role will need to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or have a valid medical or other Human Rights Code-related exemption.
- Experience and sensitivity dealing with people from different cultural, racial and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Demonstrate some technological experience and usage of social media tools (i.e. Facebook, Twitter)
- Responsible, reliable and friendly while demonstrating a willingness to learn.
- Only qualified candidates will be invited for an interview.
- Ability to communicate in a second language is an asset. We are particularly looking for Arabic, Farsi, Tagalog, and French speakers.
- Make a difference in your community by ensuring newcomers have a positive transition into Canadian society.
- Expand your network.
- Learn about diversity at the YMCA and meet new people from all walks of life.
- Be a part of the YMCA team and promote the YMCA Mission, Vision and Values.
* This position is entirely online.
Get Directions2200 Yonge St. Toronto, ON
Other YMCA of Greater Toronto Volunteer Opportunities
Other Social and Community Service Volunteer Opportunities
Summer To RememberOrganization: CityKidz Regina
Description: Why does CityKidz Regina exist? Kids need to have hope, need to dream big, and need to have an image of a positive future. MISSION: …Read More
COMMUNITY SUPPORT FACILITATOROrganization: REALM Foundation
Description: REALM is hiring a FACILITATOR to coordinate a small group of volunteers to support a person with a high level of disability (we call a …Read More