Scouts Canada – Wascappelle Area (Scouter)Organization Name: Scouts Canada – Wascappelle Area
Opportunity Title: Scouter
Category: Children & Youth
Commitment: Ongoing Opportunity (> 1 year)
Start Date: January 21, 2018
End Date: January 21, 2099
- Background/police check required
- Appropriate for youth (i.e., less than 18)
- Appropriate for volunteers aged between 18 and 55
- Appropriate for volunteers aged 55 and over
- Family-oriented volunteering
- Training or orientation required
Scouters are members of a leadership team and are responsible for the programming and delivery of section (Beavers, Cubs, Scouts, Venturers, Rovers) meetings and special events (e.g. camps, jamborees, etc.).
This position requires working as part of a leadership team conducting section programs in accordance with guidelines in Scout Canada program handbooks and By-Law, Policies and Procedures.
12-14 hours per month for planning and section meetings, plus one weekend outing every two months. Additional time may be needed for training, Group Committee and Council meetings.
- Provide exciting weekly meetings, including a number of overnight camping experiences each year.
- Ensure that the health and safety of all members is maintained continually. This is a primary concern.
- Help all members to have a challenging personal growth experience while in the section.
- Participate in section planning meetings.
- Develop close working relationships with other members of the leadership team and share the responsibilities of operating the sections.
- Help carry out the weekly program.
- Support and participate in special meetings, including day trips, as well as short- and long-term camping experiences.
- Know and use resource materials available, including handbooks.
- Maintain good relationships with parents/guardians, and encourage activities, which involve parents/guardians.
- Encourage recruitment of members, and help the Group Committee recruit other Scouters.
- Maintain good relationships with Scouters in other Sections and attend Group Council, Group Committee and local Council meetings as required.
- Take training, including special interest and outdoor activity skills instruction within one year.
- Meet specific requirements of the sponsoring body, where applicable.