YMCA of Greater Toronto (Next Stop Canada Youth Mentor- Virtual)Organization Name: YMCA of Greater Toronto
Opportunity Title: Next Stop Canada Youth Mentor- Virtual
Category: Social and Community Service
Commitment: 6 months to 1 year
Start Date: July 5, 2021
End Date: September 1, 2021
- Appropriate for youth (i.e., less than 18)
- Appropriate for volunteers aged between 18 and 55
- Training or orientation required
Program Description: Next Stop Canada Youth (NSCY) is a program that provides online settlement support, learning opportunities, and mentorship to pre-arrival youth ages 12 to 19 who are destined for Canada. This online program helps overseas youth prepare for immigration by providing them with the information, knowledge, and resources needed to quickly adapt and integrate into Canadian society.
Major Duties May Include:
- Mentoring and chatting with pre-arrival youth to help them with their settlement needs.
- Sharing immigration experience and providing practical settlement tips to pre-arrival youth.
- Working with other NSCY mentors to develop NSCY online content (blogs, vlogs).
- Attending monthly online meetings to further develop skills and provide input for NSCY.
- Attending two live-chat sessions per month to engage with pre-arrival youth on the platform.
- Assisting with meetings including facilitating discussions, helping with activity set-up, and post-activity clean up (if needed).
- Completing mentor training.
- Six months commitment which includes monthly online meetings, one hour per week for live-chat sessions and may include additional projects which can be completed virtually.
- Age range 14 – 24.
- Experience and sensitivity dealing with people from different cultural, racial and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Demonstrate good technological experience and usage of social media tools (i.e. Facebook, Twitter)
- Responsible, punctual, outgoing and friendly while demonstrating a willingness to learn.
- Must demonstrate strong communication and teamwork skills.
- Experience working with newcomers or have life experience as a newcomer is an asset.
- Make a difference in your community by ensuring overseas newcomer youth have a positive transition into Canadian society while earning volunteer hours.
- Learn about diversity at the YMCA and meet new people from all walks of life.
- Be a part of the YMCA team and promote the YMCA Mission, Vision and Values.
- Build new skills and learning strategies through facilitated training.
Apply For Volunteer Opportunity
Get Directions2200 Yonge Street
Other YMCA of Greater Toronto Volunteer Opportunities
Other Social and Community Service Volunteer Opportunities
Description: Opportunity Description: Do you like connecting with and learning about people? Are you compassionate, curious, and …Read More
Description: For those looking for a rewarding opportunity to work with the public in a donation-driven retail setting, this is a great fit. Volunteers …Read More
Description: Program Details Therapy dog services are provided in a wide range of community settings such as: Hospitals Seniors residences and …Read More
Description: YMCA of Regina Plusone Mentoring is a new community-based for youth aged 10-17 who are experiencing challenges in their social and academic …Read More
Description: 1:1 Peer Support Program Volunteer Volunteers are at the heart of the MS Society. Join an exciting, dynamic and diverse …Read More