YMCA of Greater Toronto (Next Stop Canada Youth Mentor- Virtual)Organization Name: YMCA of Greater Toronto
Opportunity Title: Next Stop Canada Youth Mentor- Virtual
Category: Social and Community Service
Commitment: 6 months to 1 year
Start Date: August 27, 2020
End Date: December 27, 2020
- Appropriate for youth (i.e., less than 18)
- Training or orientation required
Program Description: Next Stop Canada Youth (NSCY) is a program that provides online settlement support, learning opportunities, and mentorship to pre-arrival youth ages 12 to 19 who are destined for Canada. This online program helps overseas youth prepare for immigration by providing them with the information, knowledge, and resources needed to quickly adapt and integrate into Canadian society.
Major Duties May Include:
- Mentoring and chatting with pre-arrival youth to help them with their settlement needs.
- Sharing immigration experience and providing practical settlement tips to pre-arrival youth.
- Working with other NSCY mentors to develop NSCY online content (blogs, vlogs, posts, videos, webinars, podcasts, etc.).
- Attending two mentor meetings per month to further develop skills and provide input for NSCY.
- Attending two live-chat sessions per month to engage with pre-arrival youth on the platform.
- Assisting with meetings including facilitating discussions, helping with activity set-up, wrap up activities, etc.
- Completing mentor training.
- Six months commitment which includes two in person meetings a month, one hour per week for live-chat sessions and may include additional projects which can be completed virtually. Virtual mentors attend online meetings once a month.
- Age range 14 – 24.
- Volunteers ages 18 and above will need to provide a Vulnerable Sector Screening from their local police service before their first day of volunteering and every three years on the anniversary of their first day of volunteering.
- Experience and sensitivity dealing with people from different cultural, racial and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Demonstrate good technological experience and usage of social media tools (i.e. Facebook, Twitter)
- Responsible, punctual, outgoing and friendly while demonstrating a willingness to learn.
- Must demonstrate strong communication and team work skills.
- Experience working with newcomers or have life experience as a newcomer is an asset.
- Make a difference in your community by ensuring overseas newcomer youth have a positive transition into Canadian society while earning volunteer hours.
- Learn about diversity at the YMCA and meet new people from all walks of life.
- Be a part of the YMCA team and promote the YMCA Mission, Vision and Values.
- Build new skills and learning strategies through facilitated training.
*This position is entirely online.
Apply For Volunteer Opportunity
Get Directions2200 Yonge St.
Other YMCA of Greater Toronto Volunteer Opportunities
Other Social and Community Service Volunteer Opportunities
Description: YMCA of Regina Plusone Mentoring is a new community-based for youth aged 10-17 who are experiencing challenges in their social and academic …Read More
Description: 1:1 Peer Support Program Volunteer Volunteers are at the heart of the MS Society. Join an exciting, dynamic and diverse …Read More